Friday, February 18, 2011

Mission Possible.

Here is what I am going to do. I, a humble supply teacher, am going to make it my mission to spread the word about best practices in mathematics instruction for ALL learners. Who's problem is it? It's my problem. And yours.

First thing's first. Let's identify the students in the class that seem to be struggling with math or openly HATE math. There must be a reason for this. I will make it my job to record these instances. I will do my best to ensure that students have all of the tools they need for math that day. This will include a solid understanding of the task at hand as well as the physical resources, including math manipulatives. I will arrive early and make sure everything is ready. The math storage closet will be my new friend. I will preview and test the plan for math and create parallel tasks if necessary. A class list will help me keep track of any anecdotal records I have for the teacher.I will be patient and give students the time they need. I will take any help I can get from support staff. This will not mean busy work for the staff – this will mean actual support for students who really need it (extra time, scaffolding, enrichment, scribing, probing questions, etc.)

I will insist on perseverance and independence, but also be a caring facilitator.

When I am in a long term position, I plan to construct an effective learning environment for all of my students. I will start by collaborating regularly with my grade team colleagues. We will focus first on the neediest students, creating programming for the unit to include meaningful tasks that will allow success and independence for all of the learners in my class. This will include a focus on the students who we decide need it most. Strategies will be put in place right in the unit to differentiate and meet these specific needs. We will make sure that the big ideas in our unit trickle down into each 3-part lesson. As we implement the plan, we will be sure to use reflection – both ours and the students – as a thermometer for success in the classroom.  Meaningful anchor charts and student work will be the backdrop for our learning. Evaluation will be fair, and reflect the true abilities of my students. Students will leave my class with a love for math, and an answer to the age old question "what did you learn in school today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment