Thursday, February 3, 2011

Math is like...

I gave this writing assignment to a group of third graders today. I had them do a quick write with the prompt “Math is like..because...” and a short explanation about similes (cross-curricular!) Then I set the timer for 4 minutes. Then we discussed and clarified the topics. Here is what they came up with:

Math is like Smelly Socks. They are terrible and you have them every day. They stink and nobody wants to go near them.

Math is like a car because sometimes it's hard and sometimes it's soft. Like dividing is hard and adding is soft. Everyone likes the soft parts (like the seats) but nobody really wants to sit on the hard parts (like the floor).

Math is like a piece of cake. It's really easy and I like it. And I like cake. Plus you can divide a cake.

Math is like exercise. You have to move your brain around to get the job done.

Math is like prison. No matter what you do you are stuck. There is no way out.

Math is like a speech. We all know what they are talking about, but there are so many words.

Math is like a board. It makes me bored.

And my personal favourite:

Math is like a train. It goes off in every direction and eventually comes back to where it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment